Sunday, May 27, 2012

To be Mother

I Wonder
A reflection

When I had the chicken pox,
my mom powdered my face
and applied some lipstick;
the powder stopped the itching
and the lip color helped me feel better.

I brought a dog home from the pound once
and tried to keep it a secret from my mom.
She wasn't too happy about that
but three days later, smile and all,
she was helping me pull tics off the new pup.

I used to paint and draw all the time
and my mother was very encouraging.
She would give me boxes galore to decorate
but one time I found some nail polish
and painted the bathroom sink...

During my birth, and even after,
the doctors continued to tell my mom,
"Your daughter will not make it.
You need to let her go; she's going to die,"
predetermining the loss of her first child.

When my mother accepted this and took me home,
she loved me completely despite the circumstances.
During this time, I grew healthier
and the little child she held in her arms
came back to life.

I wonder what Mary did when Jesus got sick --
let Him sleep in? Skip some chores?

I wonder how often Jesus came home saying,
"Look mom! Can we keep him?!"

I wonder what messes little Jesus made for Mary --
food on the floor? Mud in the house?

I wonder what Mary felt when Simeon said,
"And you yourself a sword will pierce."

I wonder how many emotions ran through Mary
when her crucified Son was raised from the dead.

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised to be the first comment here. That's a very touching haiku about your mother. Love can do everything! It is our power. God bless your mother for giving you her love at 100%. She sounds like a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Please forgive me for such a delayed response, but I only just read your comment now. I never thought of love being our power, but that's the perfect way of looking at it! My mother is definitely one of a kind :) May God bless you in return, my friend!

      Delete