Saturday, April 25, 2020

A Moment of Honesty

This post is for those of us struggling with quarantine and feeling guilty about it. If you’re like me, you’ve probably been vacillating between knowing how much quarantine has troubled you, but trying to shush yourself since there are other people out there with “real problems”. Well guess what, every problem is a real problem, so welcome, my troubled friend.

When it comes to my interior movement these days, there's not even a back and forth I can describe - no going between two different emotions like a high and a low. No, I'm just all over the place.

Some days I'm mad; other days I'm content and can see God at work even in the mess. And then other days I feel like an ungrateful first world brat because I'm constantly complaining about my own discomfort. Sometimes I even get to experience all of that in a single day. But every day I start over by reminding myself that it's okay to feel whatever I'm feeling and that minimizing my hurt isn't going to help anyone. In fact, it would only be detrimental to me and the people around me (or in front of me on a screen).

While I may not be working on the front lines accompanying the sick and dying, or losing loved ones from across the miles without a chance to say goodbye, there are losses and challenges in my own daily life that I must acknowledge, even as I work from home, virus-free and well-fed. My pain doesn't have to look like somebody else's pain to count, and neither does yours.

I first started to notice that I was feeling angry after spending two weeks in quarantine. I came back to my convent in Pittsburgh halfway through March after traveling to California for a few different events. As I left California, schools, restaurants and movie theaters slowly began to close their doors.

Upon arriving in Pittsburgh, I spent 14 days in quarantine because the sister I live with is immunocompromised. She stayed at another convent while I stayed at ours alone. At first I thought I would enjoy it and that I’d finally have a chance to catch up on all the sleep and downtime I could have ever dreamed of. Instead, I found myself staying awake until the sun came up on some nights and simply waiting for the days to end because every hour felt heavy and empty all at once.

I went from spending time with people constantly to having absolutely no human interaction except for the single day I went to the grocery store. Even as an introvert I felt myself drained of all energy. I was fed up with Zoom calls already and didn’t even want to respond to texts or phone calls anymore. I have never experienced clinical depression, but I’m pretty sure that was the closest I have ever come. And all it took was 14 days.

It was hard to understand why I felt so lethargic, but looking back on it, I realize I was grieving. I had just lost my life in the way I had known it for the 33 years I’ve been alive. Not only that, but going from constant interaction to zero interaction was like jumping into a water so cold it lunged at every cell in my body. If the coronavirus could attack the lungs of my heart, that’s what it felt like.

Not only did my calendar go empty - which was once so full I could barely understand how I actually made it to appointments without double-booking myself - but my days did as well. For 14 days I had absolutely no reason to get up in the morning. Since I am a religious sister, people might wonder, “Isn’t Jesus your reason for getting up every day?” Well yes, but for me the idea of Jesus being present “where two or three are gathered together in [his] name” is very much a reality (Mt. 18:20). I may be an introvert, but I love people because I find the Jesus I love among them.

My days were empty of activity, which meant they were empty of people, which in turn made me feel like they were empty of purpose. I was grateful for God’s invitation during this time to look at my days and how I spent them - not just in the past, but in the present. It brought to mind thoughts and questions around the idea of meaning and purpose. Having a full calendar and days overflowing with activity once told me I had a purpose. As all of that disappeared, how was I supposed to believe my life still had purpose? I knew it was a chance for transformation, and yet it was still very painful.

When it was time for the sister I live with to return home, my mixed emotions continued. I wanted company, but her return to our convent wasn’t going to change anything. It made me angry. Fortunately for me she is very patient and understanding because she was the only one around and thus became the object of my frustration.

Throughout Holy Week I continued to fume about all that was disappearing in my life - friend’s weddings, vocation events, gatherings in new and exciting places, a spiritual retreat in the desert, time with my family in New Mexico, outings of any kind - while at the same time feeling like I shouldn’t complain since other people had bigger problems. But when the resurrection of Easter began to uncurl the tightness in my chest, I could begin to see my own “problems” were also very real. Slowly, very slowly, I started to acknowledge the losses and let go. It was like watching new life take root after a forest fire even as the ash is still falling.

Contemplating the process of a caterpillar becoming a butterfly began to help me understand transformation on a deeper level. What first stood out to me was how the caterpillar becomes an absolute mess in the cocoon. Kirstin Vanlierde describes it well in a post on medium.com entitled, “A Little Story on Death and Resurrection”: In order to become a butterfly, the caterpillar has to fall apart completely, decompose down to its very essence, devoid of any shape or consciousness. It literally dies. There is nothing left of it. And from this ... essence, the butterfly starts to put itself together, from scratch.

I had no problem identifying with that. There was a darkness in this time that seemed to be both painful and healing. It was causing me to question everything, down to whether or not my life had any purpose anymore; but it was also helping me to value life in ways I never had.

Secondly, I once heard that sometimes caterpillars delay their process of becoming a chrysalis. For whatever reason, when the time comes they do not begin the process and can even put it off for up to a year. Do they know what’s coming? Do they know they will be completely undone? Maybe they sense a change in the air and, like most of us, do whatever they can to avoid it.

This time, though, none of us could avoid the change. We couldn’t even try to delay it. Here we are now, in a global cocoon, with our lives coming undone.

We have all lost something. Maybe it’s health, maybe a loved one or a friend, maybe a “right of passage” ceremony, like graduation or Baptism. So let yourself grieve. Your loss doesn’t have to be the same as someone else’s loss to be painful. You’re allowed to be angry, hurt, disappointed, scared, lonely, anxious, sad, or any other kind of emotion labeled as “negative”. Allow the arteries of your spirit to open up so that healing can begin. Maybe some days we will experience depression unlike anything we’ve ever felt; maybe some days we’ll feel a hope as real and grand as the sun itself. No matter what, every day is a day closer to healing.

Maybe we’ll never arrive at the life we once had, but we’ll arrive somewhere. The caterpillar doesn’t know what’s on the other side of its cocoon, and we don’t know what’s on the other side of ours - but if God’s patterns reveal themselves time and again in nature, then coming undone completely means eventually we’ll get to fly.


Sister Desiré Anne-Marie Findlay

9 comments:

  1. Sr. Desire, I so admire your gift of writing. Thanks for sharing. We all are struggling with this pandemic. I personally miss going to daily Mass at St. Joseph and bringing Communion to the homebound. Bishop Baron broadcasts his daily Mass which we watch on our big screen in the living room. We have consecrated hosts in our tabernacle so we receive Jesus everyday. Let us keep praying for each other and for all who are dying from this coronavirus. I especially remember all who are working in the medical field. God bless and protect them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness and for your honesty as well, Sr. Seraphine. Though there is a lot we are missing, you're right, we are still very fortunate in many ways. Sending lots of love to you and the sisters there! Miss you!

      Delete
  2. Desire, first sending you hugs until we can actually hug. What a beautiful gift, that is you . . . and your writing also. We are blessed with your honesty and willingness to share your heart. Keeping you in prayer as always. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! While your comment is posted as "unknown" and I can't really tell who you are... I'm also looking forward to the day we can hug! Haha I miss friendship in person, so I miss you too because I can tell we are good friends. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you! Am currently reading Hidden Wings by Margaret Silf. If you haven’t read it, it would fit perfectly with what you are saying and give a further depth to the butterfly analogy. Love and peace from Down Under!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sister Desire a very honest sharing of where you are at and one I can certain concur with. Some days I am fine others not doing so well and yet I feel I should not complain. I am healthy, my family are well and I am working happily from home so I am deeply grateful. I realize I am grieving the loss of many things that are so important to me and that this is normal so thank you.

      Delete
  4. They will all grow younger!
     

    "But truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord." Numbers 14:21

    God shall wipe away all tears from off all faces.

    Isaiah 25:8; Revelation 7:17

    All wars shall cease.

    Isaiah 2:4; Micah 4:3

    All evil shall be suppressed.

    Psalm 37:10; Revelation 20:2,3

    God's judgments shall teach righteousness to all.

    Isaiah 26:9; 28:17

    Nothing shall ever hurt nor destroy.

    Isaiah 11:9

    Truth shall triumph in the earth.

    Psalm 85:11

    God shall write His Law in the hearts of men.

    Jeremiah 31:33

    All shall know Him from the least to the greatest.

    Jeremiah 31:34

    Earth shall be filled with the knowledge of God.

    Habakuk 2:14

    God shall pour out His spirit upon all flesh.

    Joel 2:28; Acts 2:17

    All iniquity shall be remembered no more.

    Isaiah 55:7

    All shall rejoice as sorrow and sighing flee away.

    Isaiah 35:10

    There shall be no more death, sorrow or pain.

    Revelation 21:4,5

    There shall be no more sickness.

    Isaiah 33:24

    The eyes of the blind shall be opened and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.

    Isaiah 35:5

    The earth shall yield her increase.

    Psalm 67:6

    The desert shall blossom as the rose.

    Isaiah 35:1

    The ransomed of the Lord shall return from death.

    Isaiah 35:10

    One shall not build and another inhabit, nor plant and another take, nor shall any labor in vain.

    Isaiah 65:22,23

    Every man shall sit under his own vine and fig tree.

    Micah 4:4

    God shall multiply the fruitage of the earth.

    Psalm 67:6; 85:12

    There shall be showers of blessing.

    Ezekiel 34:26

    The earth shall become like a Garden of Eden.

    Isaiah 51:3

    ReplyDelete