Thursday, September 5, 2013

To be Consecrated


Sister Claire processing in with the cross
On Thursday, August 15, 2013, I made my first profession of vows as a Felician Franciscan Sister.  I deepened my baptismal commitment by professing the vows of poverty, chastity and obedience (explained here in another blog).  I was surrounded by Sisters, family and friends, all of whom have been and continue to be a wonderful display of God's affection for me.

Depiction of the Assumption at RR convent
August 15th is a major day for our community and for me in many ways.  Our Felician community is particularly fond of the Blessed Virgin Mary because of her selfless "Yes" to God which gave flesh and bone to God's own Son, making Him a brother to the entire human race.  The 15th of August is known as the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary because it is that day the Church celebrates her assumption into heaven.  Each of our central Felician convents is named after Mary in her honor; the convent in Rio Rancho is named The Convent of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which means that August 15th is the day they celebrate their own special feast.  Each of the Sisters has her own personal feast day as well, so any Sister who has the same name as a saint would celebrate her feast day on the feast day of the saint.  For example, a Sister named Rose would typically celebrate on August 23rd because that is the feast day of St. Rose of Lima.  Because there is not (yet) a St. Desire', I chose a Marian feast.  I could have picked any day on which we celebrate the Virgin Mary, but I chose the Feast of the Assumption.  So not only is August 15th the feast day of the convent where I met the Felicians as well as my own personal feast day, but it was also my grandmother's birthday -- the woman whose faith has been a large part of my own faith formation.


As I stood in front of my ever-growing family, I spoke these words in order to profess the vows I have chosen to live:

I, Sister Desire' Anne-Marie, vow to Almighty God chastity, poverty and obedience for one year
according to the Constitutions of the Sisters of St. Felix of Cantalice,
and I promise to live according to the Rule of the Third Order Regular of St. Francis.
 
I choose Jesus for my spouse and Lord, the Blessed Virgin Mary for my mother and lady,
the seraphic St. Francis for my model of evangelical life,
and this Congregation for my family.
 
I make my profession into the hands of Sister Mary Christopher, Provincial Minister,
and I entrust my vows to the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
 
To which the presider said:
 
And I promise you on the part of Almighty God and in the name of the Blessed Virgin Mary,
that if you observe all this, you shall receive life everlasting.
+In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
 
And I responded with "Amen"!
 
After professing the vows, I received the symbols of my religious profession.  I was given a black veil to replace my white one which proclaims that I now belong entirely to Christ and am dedicated to the service of the Church.  I received the crucifix which serves as a reminder to me of God's infinite love for His people.  I was given the Rule of St. Francis and the Constitutions of our community that I may maintain them as my way of life.  The candle I received represents the light of Christ, which serves to enlighten those who chose to be His apostles.  This all took place throughout the Mass, and as a final blessing, all raised their hands over me to pray in the words of Blessed Mary Angela, our foundress:
 
 
 "May the Lord give you a humble love which expands itself, a generous love which forgets itself, a strong love which is not afraid of pain, a stable love which does not change, a patient love which can bear everything, a fervent love which never weakens, a constant love which never falters.  Amen."
 Afterward we took many pictures (posted below), followed by good food and company!
 
With Council members, my former director, and Mass celebrants
My sister Johnele and her lovely family!
Aunts, Uncles, Cousin, Mom and baby sis :)

Dad and Grandparents

Viola who, with her daughter Rachel, played for the Mass
Linda who also did a lot for the music of the Mass!
All photographs posted on this blog were taken by Evelyn Hornbarger, a young woman of the LDS church whose own faith and kindness have been an inspiration!  She also wrote a blog on the event which you can access here.  I will post more photos from the ceremony itself when I have a bit more time as well as some antics from recent Pomona Catholic high school adventures.
 
Thank you for continuing to be a part of my journey!  May we bring one another to heaven :)

3 comments:

  1. A beautiful and inspirational blog, Sr. Desire. May Jesus and His Mother Mary continue to bless you in all your endeavors. Sr. Seraphine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful memories of a beautiful and meaningful day. May the Lord continue to be your strength. Always keep him, your spouse, as the center of our life. Sr Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, dear Sisters!!

    ReplyDelete