Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sister Bridget's Apostolic Experience in San Antonio, TX

I am staying at Blessed Mary Angela Convent with S Dorothy Ann Mary Moczygemba, SM Irene Krysinski and SM Ellen Sturm.  

My apostolic experience with Sister Dorothy, director of faith formation for St. Brigid's Parish in San Antonio, has been a great experience.  

St. Brigid's is a large parish, with about 2500 registered families, in Northwest San Antonio. The parish website describes itself as having "a pastor and pastoral team who are able to share leadership of the parish and willing to delegate responsibility in such a manner as to continue the development of a committed lay leadership that will assist in carrying out the message of the Gospel," and I have witnessed this firsthand. It is beautiful to see so many committed parishioners, young and old, who are a vibrant part of the parish life outside of Sunday Mass attendance. At the opening of the Parish Mission, the parishioners were asked to commit to one hour per week for Eucharistic Adoration as St. Brigid's prepares to start perpetual adoration.  More than 400 parishioners responded "Yes" to the call. The visiting priest, Father Sean Davidson, a member of the clerical association Missionaries of the Most Holy Eucharist, said he had never seen such a response.

Vocation panel discussion at St. Joseph's in Honey Creek

While I have been here at St. Brigid's, I have been assisting Sister Dorothy and Lourdes Machado, her assistant, in the office as well as participating with various faith-forming ministries. I helped to research and choose a Vacation Bible School theme, facilitated a First Eucharist Gathering with the children (one of many highlights), attended one of two bible studies going on at the parish, and participated in a "Writing with Angels" meeting where the participants read scripture, pray together, faith share and journal together. I also joined in a few RCIA classes and accompanied Sister Dorothy to the Rite of Election. 

Youth Ministry Coordinator Nora Ruiz allowed me to accompany the youth group to the Natalie Grant concert, a Christian singer, at the University of the Incarnate Word. I also attended a few of the Youth Group meetings. One of the beautiful instances of collaboration of the community here at St. Brigid's was exemplified at a high school retreat planning meeting I attended. Headed by Nora, who had to leave soon after it started, the team, a mix of young adults (former youth group members) and adult parishioners, proceeded to present ideas for activities, skits and overall flow of the weekend event. Each idea was discussed and most were accepted and adapted to the need of the event. Input came from a majority of the participants. It was beautiful and exciting to see leaders of today forming leaders of tomorrow!

Vocation Events

Youth group at St. Brigid's

The first Saturday I was in San Antonio, S Jane Mary Gawlik took me to the San Antonio Super Youth Spectacular. Jesse Manibusan was the keynote speaker and Archbishop Gustavo García-Siller presided at Mass. More than 500 young people attended the event. I participated in a skit and Q&A panel with several seminarians and a Salesian Sister, Sister Jaden. The youth group led by Nora Ruiz from St. Brigid's was also there and this was their first sighting of me. On Sunday,  back at the parish, many came and introduced themselves to me and gave me great feedback on the skit, which focused on making good decisions in the face of temptation. This past Sunday I was involved in two more vocation panel discussions, one at St. Brigid's and the other in "Hill Country," at St. Joseph's in Honey Creek. I talked with many of the teens from St. Brigid's one-on-one as they were interviewing seminarians and religious for their Confirmation classes. At St. Joseph's, we were part of the Life Teen event after Mass. I was amazed by the amount and quality of questions this group of high schoolers had for us. Many came and asked more questions following the event.

Sadly, my time here in San Antonio is coming to a close. I have been truly blessed to have experienced so much in such a short time and to have met so many faith-filled people who have welcomed me with open arms and plenty of hugs!

3 comments: