Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sister Desire's Apostolic Experience in Coraopolis, PA

I arrived in Coraopolis, PA, on Friday, February 15, and will be here until Monday, April 1. I am spending my days at Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (OLSH) High School, walking up and down the halls and in and out of classrooms as a new addition with some experiences to share.
 

Sister Desire tutoring a student in Spanish
I have spoken with all of the students by going to each religion class and telling my vocation story. During each visit, I left time for the students to make comments or ask questions, and I had a lot of fun responding to them. I received questions such as, "What's your favorite color?" or, "If you could be any animal, what would you be?", but also encountered some very carefully thought-out questions such as, "What do you think of the military?" or "What do you think about other religions?" At the end of the discussion, I would ask the students to put their heads down so I could ask them a question. "Keep your eyes closed," I instructed, and then I would ask, "Have any of you ever thought about religious life? Just raise your hand." In each class, I always had at least two students raise their hands. Sometimes I had about four or five hands go up in a class. So keep the prayers coming! After speaking with the students, they felt more comfortable having me around, so we began an extracurricular activity after school.

About 15 students showed up on the first day, Monday, March 4, to make knotted cord rosaries. I began with a single-decade rosary. When they returned the next day, I gave them each enough cord to make a full rosary while the newcomers began on their own single decades. It has been great so far! I plan to continue next week as well, since the students are interested in continuing the activity after I leave.

Another one of my roles in the school is as a tutor, mostly for students struggling in Spanish or Religion. I work with about four students on a weekly basis and am really enjoying getting to know them. Two of them are seniors, so I get to listen to them talk about their future plans for school and employment. One young man tells me that I look like his little sister, so I guess they are becoming like family to me now!

 
Teaching rosary making to the students after school
On Wednesday, March 13, I had the chance to speak in one of the Spanish classes about immigration. I created a power point presentation entitled, Immigración: Antes de, Durante de, Después de (Immigration: Before, During, After).  It included educational videos as well as photographs that I had taken of children and adults both in Mexico and the United States who have had to endure the difficulties of immigration. We discussed some true/false statements that I had composed and then talked about the difficulties many migrants face when they finally arrive. We also had a chance to talk about how our country can benefit from their presence and I brought up an example that I figured would be relevant-- Pizza! Tomorrow the students will gather in groups to further discuss the topic and I am scheduled to give this same presentation for the remaining Spanish classes.

Other than school, I have had the opportunity to attend several young adult gatherings in the Pittsburgh area. Sarah Beedle, who is discerning a vocation to the religious life, often picks me up and we attend the events together. The religion teacher and campus minister here, Erin Stuvek, hosts a young adult gathering with her husband called "Taco Tuesday." We attend Mass in the evening and then gather just to visit for a while. After visiting, we read a reflection or excerpt from Scripture, and then get into small groups to go over some discussion questions. It is a wonderful experience, so I am trying to get some of our other young educators on board. Sarah also came to the OLSH Legacy Gala where our sisters were recognized for their ministry at OLSH High School. The evening was very enjoyable and Sarah noted how well-loved and supported the sisters are by the community here.

I look forward to my remaining two weeks with the OLSH community and ask for your continued prayers as I discern my future ministry! Thank you for all the support you have shown thus far and may God bless each and every one of you.

Your sister, Desiré

P.S. My niece, Grace Apodaca (pictured at right), was born on Saturday, March 9! She was four weeks early, but is doing very well and was discharged from the hospital with my sister 48 hours after delivery. Now my nephew has a little sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment